In the final days of the Civil War, Caldwell County was the scene of an event that has lived on in history and legend—General George Stoneman’s Raid. When Stoneman’s troops occupied Lenoir in April of 1865, St. James Episcopal Church was used as an officers’ headquarters and the fenced church grounds served as a prison. Families from Lenoir, including St. James’ parishioners, brought food, clothing, medical supplies, and other needed items, to aid approximately 642 Confederate prisoners. Our church is one of two Civil War historic sites in Caldwell County, the other being a woolen mill located in Patterson near the site of the current Omni Supply Company. The mill was burned on the raiders’ first wave through the county about two weeks prior to their visit to Lenoir. These two sites will soon be designated Civil War historical landmarks and will be marked by historical signage and mapped for tourists and people who track Civil War history.